What is a Denture?
A denture is a removable replacement for missing teeth. It is made of acrylic plastic and metal materials. It closely resembles natural gum tissue and teeth. It is the most cost effective way to replace missing teeth.
Why should I get Dentures?
There are usually better options than dentures in replacing your missing teeth. However, in some cases, a denture is still the best way. It is best to have a discussion with your dentist which option is best for your situation.
How long do Dentures last?
In general, we (dentists) recommend getting new dentures every five to eight years. Over this time, dentures get worn out due to regular use, and your gums may change shape or shrink over the years.
How do I take care of my Dentures?
For taking good care of your dentures, here are some tips to help you:
1) Do no sleep with your dentures on.
2) Handle your dentures carefully and gently.
3) Brush your dentures at least once a day.
4) Soak dentures overnight in special cleaning solution, to help keeping them clean and hygienic.
5) Rinse dentures before putting them back in your mouth, especially if using a denture-soaking solution.
Are Dentures my only option?
You may have other options. See your dentist for more details.
Can I eat with Dentures?
Yes! However, the effectiveness of chewing is not as as good as other options.